Coconut oil has become a popular oil in recent years because of its health benefits. But did you know that coconut oil, such as the one pictured below found on Amazon, is not only great for our health but is a versatile oil that can be used around the home?
Home Health Living has come up with 53 uses for coconut oil (and not all of them relate to food!).
53 Uses For Coconut Oil (and not just in the kitchen!):
- As a cleanser for your face, using a cotton ball.
- As a moisturizer for cracked heels.
- Rub some coconut oil on your elbows to prevent dry, tough skin.
- Place a tablespoon of coconut oil in your mouth and swish it around for 20 minutes. This is known as oil pulling.
- Use coconut oil for frying food, as coconut oil has a very high smoking point.
- Add a teaspoon of coconut oil to your smoothie.
- Use coconut oil in a recipe for raw balls.
- Add 3 tablespoons of coconut oil to your bath water to give yourself a moisturizing bath. Great for your skin!
- Mix some coconut oil with sugar to create a natural exfoliant for your face.
- Use a small amount of coconut oil in your hair to reduce fizz instead of chemical hair sprays and gels.
- Coconut oil is safe and great to use on baby’s skin.
- Rub coconut oil on cuticles to help your nails grow.
- Men can use coconut oil as a shaving gel.
- Coconut oil is great as an odour remover. If you have smelly hands from slicing onions, rub some coconut oil on your hands.
- Mix some coconut oil with baking soda and a couple of drops of stevia and peppermint essential oil for a natural homemade toothpaste.
- Mix some melted coconut oil with raw melted chocolate and pour over your ice cream. The coldness will make it set, just like shop-bought chocolate topping (but without the yucky stuff!).
- Rub some coconut oil onto a wound to help it heal- coconut oil is antimicrobial.
- Add some coconut oil to a homemade curry or stir fry recipe.
- For healthy smooth lips, use coconut oil as a lip balm.
- Before shaving your legs, rub some coconut oil to help the razor glide gently and easily.
- Using a cloth, apply coconut oil to your shaver’s razor blades after each use to prevent rusting.
- Use on popcorn in place of regular butter.
- For polishing stainless steel.
- It can be used as a personal lubricant.
- To grease your baking tins prior to use.
- It can gently and effectively remove eye make-up using a soft cloth.
- To help tattoos heal quickly, you can rub the area with coconut oil.
- Place a tablespoon of melted coconut oil in your pet’s food bowl with their food- it safe and healthy for animals.
- Coconut oil can be used when making homemade chocolate instead of other butters.
- Rub some coconut oil on your hands for a luxurious hand moisturizer.
- Make a sugar body scrub: coconut oil, brown sugar and lavender essential oil.
- Use it as a massage oil.
- Mix some coconut oil into your coffee for a creamy taste without needing any milk.
- Add some coconut oil and cinnamon to your porridge for a lovely warming flavour.
- If your child has head lice, cover their head with coconut oil as this makes it easier to remove the lice and nits with your comb.
- Use coconut oil as a hair conditioner.
- It helps take out the itch from insect bites.
- For breastfeeding mothers, rubbing some coconut oil on your nipples after feeding helps prevent infections and keeps the nipples moisturized.
- Use coconut oil as a great natural after shave lotion
- Rub some coconut oil on your pet dog or cat to keep their coat healthy and shiny.
- Coconut oil can help reduce darkness under the eye.
- Make a chocolate coconut fondue to tip fruits into
- Add some coconut oil to water and drink it, as a healthier sports drink alternative.
- Coconut oil can be used as a natural body deodorant on its own or when mixed with baking soda and essential oils.
- It can be used as a sunscreen however the sun protection factor is SPF4. It can also be used as an after sun solution to heal burns.
- Apply coconut oil to heal athlete’s foot and other skin fungal infections- coconut oil is antifungal.
- Apply some coconut oil to a cold sore- it will help heal the sore quickly.
- Use coconut oil as a hair de-tangler for your children- rub a small amount of oil on their hair before brushing.
- Use coconut oil on your make up brushes to remove any bacteria- rub the oil on the brushes and after an hour, wash the brushes.
- Mix some coconut oil with eucalyptus essential oil and rub on the chest as a natural vapor rub.
- Rub some coconut oil on a bike chain that is stuck.
- Mix some coconut oil with lemon juice and use it as a furniture polish.
- Make homemade soap.
Home Health Living has selected the best selling organic coconut oils on Amazon to share with you.
Can you come up with any other uses for coconut oil?
Disclaimer: There are affiliate links within this post. If you purchase via these links, we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting our family!